Sunday, October 18, 2009

Spotlight: Mystical Lit

Out of the four courses I am taking here at Ben-Gurion University (not including Hebrew), I cannot decide which one is my favorite because I like them all equally and differently. So, I decided to write a spotlight on each of them, starting with Mystical Literature.

I signed up for this class because the syllabus looked interesting to me: using text from Judaism, Christianity, and Islam to experience mysticism. Thus far I have had four lectures and have been studying the Judaism aspect, and love every minute of this subject both inside and outside of the classroom.
We have read the Torah, the Zohar, articles, summaries. We have studied Freud and compared his theory of dreams to that of Jacob; we have discussed journeys and Abraham, and we have discussed God's warrior-like qualities in the Torah in comparison to "everyday beliefs."

With only an hour and a half of this class once a week, I don't ever want it to end! My professor, June Leavitt, is a brilliant woman who brings the material of ancient days alive, and I cannot express how much I appreciate this class.

1 comment: